John 3:16 "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him."







Friday, March 16, 2018

6th Lesson: Discipleship according to God's own heart.

Evaluating our entire conduct according to the heart of God.

Are we Vessels for Honor or for dishonor?  We have an option to make it right.






Objectives:
1 We ought to examine ourselves, according to the Word of God.
Are we vessels for honor or for dishonor?
2 How can I become a vessel of honor again?
How can I know if I am qualified to lead someone to Christ?
3 God has called you to make a difference in this world.


Vessels for Honor or for dishonor.
Each and every one of us needs to learn to trust in the Lord with all our heart, and lean not on our own understanding. In all our ways acknowledging our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, who gave His life in order that we can live and by doing so, He directs our paths. Not one single person is a good leader because of what the person is in itself. We are a good leader if we are a vessel for noble purposes in God’s hands as the Apostle Paul explains to Timothy.
2 Timothy 2:20 “But in a great house there are not only vessels of gold and silver, but also of wood and clay, some for honor and some for dishonor.”

Now to the Romans the apostle Paul addresses it like this: Romans 9:21 (NKJV) “Does not the potter have power over the clay, from the same lump to make one vessel for honor and another for dishonor?”

We need to realize and understand that we are clay in the potters’ hand. But, it depends on how we behave, act and live that will describe what kind of vessel we are. Jeremiah describes something very similar to this. God sent the prophet to the potters’ house, and asked him to watch him as he was making the vessels.

Jeremiah 18:1-6:  ‘The Potter and the Clay’
“The word which came to Jeremiah from the Lord, saying: 2 “Arise and go down to the potter’s house, and there I will cause you to hear My words.” 3 Then I went down to the potter’s house, and there he was, making something at the wheel. 4 And the vessel that he made of clay was marred in the hand of the potter; so he made it again into another vessel, as it seemed good to the potter to make. 5 Then the word of the Lord came to me, saying: 6 “O house of Israel, can I not do with you as this potter?” says the Lord.”
We can have this confidence that once we came to the Lord Jesus to receive Him as Lord and Savior, He does not only have the power to change us from sinners to saints as you already have studied; but also from a lump of clay, that was for dishonor into a vessel for honor. Hallelujah, Amen!!!
Honoring God means we do it as He commanded it. And that settles it!! We learn on constant bases with our Lord and Savior. The Holy Spirit that dwells in us always teaches us. So, we are equipped to do the good work. Amen, praise the Almighty God and our Lord Jesus.
Discipleship is the fact that we exercise influence over our neighbors and with all whom we get in contact with; and this influence may or may not achieve its success. Similarly, our influence can be positive or negative. Often we do not realize the fact that there is someone watching us by copying our actions, gestures, thoughts; seeking to build their behavior or conduct based on what they observe in us. Let us put it this way, if I am a vessel for dishonor then I do not achieve it to be a good influence. But, a vessel for honor will achieve a good influence on the person that is with us.
There are many leaders in this world, and somehow each of us, is a leader to someone who is living with us at some time in our life. "If someone follows our example, for this person we serve as a leader at that particular moment". Are we an influence to our family and friends, neighbors who always live with us? Certainly. In the future they might comment with others what living with us meant for them.
So, is the end result going to show that we were a good disciple maker or not?
Journal nº 3:  Have you ever watched a pastor or a leader in church and made your remarks about him or her?  Was the person a good influence for you or not?  What would you tell that person that needs to be changed and based on what?


According to your answer to journal above look at yourself in the mirror (God’s Word) how does it reflect you? What does the neighbor see in you?

Jeremiah 17:10 (NKJV) “I, the Lord, search the heart, I test the mind, Even to give every man according to his ways, According to the fruit of his doings.”
2 Corinthians 13:5 (NKJV) “Examine yourselves as to whether you are in the faith. Test yourselves. Do you not know yourselves, that Jesus Christ is in you?—unless indeed you are disqualified.”

The above verses show us a pattern how we are an influence on our neighbors, because it reflects the fruit of our doings, as stated in the verse.
God spoke through the prophet Jeremiah and through Paul to His people:
- “I, the Lord, search the heart.
- I test the mind.
- To give every person according to his ways.
- According to the fruit of his doings.”
-  “Examine yourselves as to whether you are in the faith.
-  Test yourselves.
-  Do you not know yourselves, that Jesus Christ is in you? — unless indeed you are disqualified.”

Scripture tells us to examine ourselves as to whether we are in the faith. It challenges us to test ourselves. God gives us according to our ways and according to the fruit of our doings. We have no excuse for not receiving different than what God has given us. We receive according to what we do…
As we have studied so far, in the first three lessons; we can know who is qualified to lead others to Jesus by the following:
- If you examine yourselves as to whether you are in the faith or not,
- Testing yourselves, you will be able to know if Jesus Christ is in you or not.
- Do you not know yourselves?
- You know whether you invited Jesus as your Lord and Savior, and you know if you are in fellowship with Him… And if not then…
-   — unless indeed you are disqualified.

This is how I understand the above verse.
A disciple seeks Jesus with all his heart and with all his soul. Actions, conduct and speech need to be all lined up with the Word of God. We as Christians can say the verse in Deuteronomy 4:29 this way:  “But from the day when I accepted Jesus as my Lord and Savior, I decided to seek the Lord my God, and I find Him every time I seek Him with all my heart and with all my soul.”
-  We need to serve with a loyal heart and a willing mind.
-  Know the God of your father.
-  Serve Him with a loyal heart and with a willing mind.
-  The Lord searches all hearts and understands all the intent of the thoughts.
-  If I seek Him, I will be find Jesus… always.
-  But if I forsake Him, He will cast me off forever.
-  When I will call upon Jesus and go and pray to Him, He will listen to me.
-  If I will seek Jesus, I will find Him, when I search for Jesus with all my heart.

People that live around us and with us see it if we truly walk with the Lord. That this will be the pattern as described in the above verses, and they will get a hunger and a desire to have the same. If God and His love is in us, it will be evidenced and people around us will see it. So, are we then willing to lead our neighbor to the Lord as well? If we bring someone to know Jesus and his Word; for this person we are a leader, because we were used to show him how to get to the salvation in Christ Jesus.

True fellowship with Jesus and the body of Christ. In 1 John 1:6-8 (NKJV) we read that: “If we say that we have fellowship with Him, and walk in darkness, we lie and do not practice the truth. But if we walk in the light as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus Christ His Son cleanses us from all sin.  If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.”  As it is stated in this verse, all of us need to walk in the light and have fellowship with Jesus and walk in the light, because Jesus is the light.

To many people that call themselves Christians do not realize the fact that is described in this passage. Let’s evaluate ourselves according to this passage. Choose one of the three, which one describes you. Be honest before God.
-  If we say that we have fellowship with Him, and walk in darkness, we lie and do not practice the truth.
-  But if we walk in the light as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus Christ His Son cleanses us from all sin.
-  If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.”

Take a stand: (Now remember, this is what Jesus said)
-  Either we are for Jesus or against Him.
-  Either we gather with Him or we spoil.
-  So… am I for Him and gather with Him, or am I against Him and spoil… There is not such thing as being for Him, yet spoiling…

Task nº1:  In your next prayer please try the following:

Pray:  “Lord do I say that I have fellowship with You? Help me practice it. Have you seen me walk in darkness or am I truly walking in the light with you? Lord Jesus, I do not want to lie, but I want to practice the truth. Help me Lord to walk in the light as You are in the light, so that I can have fellowship with You and other fellow believers, and that your blood Lord Jesus Christ might cleanse me from all my sins.  If I say that I have no sin, I deceive myself, and the truth is not in me. I do not want to be against you dear Lord, but with you; so that I can gather with you. I want to walk in the light with you. I do not want to spoil and be a hindrance to others. Thank you Lord. Amen.


Read Matthew 12:30 (NKJV) “He who is not with Me is against Me, and he who does not gather with Me scatters abroad.”  In our life with Jesus, there are only 2 options… either you are a disciple that follows Him and lives according to the calling He gives us; or we are against Him, meaning His opponent.

I honestly want to learn to practice to live according to what the Bible teaches us, so that I truly can evaluate my conduct according to the same.
How many people have received the same description in the Bible, which David won? The minority. Many served God, but not everyone gained this remark about his leadership and ministry, as David did. There was a special reason why the anointing of God was upon David, who grew in his journey and his way of acting according to God’s heart. He was a human being, and he made mistakes like you and I do; but, every time God confronted him, he humbled himself and made it right with God. I encourage you to read the Psalms that David wrote and evaluate it how he longed to be a man after God’s heart.


Homework = Scripture memory:
Be sure to commit this passage to memory before moving on to the next lesson. , Then, practice reciting it repeatedly throughout this course. Jeremiah 17:10 (NKJV) “I, the Lord, search the heart, I test the mind, Even to give every man according to his ways, According to the fruit of his doings.”     Matthew 12:30 (NKJV) “He who is not with Me is against Me, and he who does not gather with Me scatters abroad.”
Personal goal:  Make a commitment with the Lord. My suggestion is to ask Him to make of you a Disciple according to His own heart.


Blessings on to you all. 
Antonina Penner.


A. PENNER PUBLISHING.
 Discipleship according the heart of God
ISBN NUMBER:  978-0-9881063-2-1

No comments:

Post a Comment

Rev. Billy Graham